Jess Bellef is Head of Styling for Australia’s leading online homewares website, Temple & Webster . She explains that storage doesn’t need to be an annual headache. “Clever storage ideas are a quick and easy way to give your home a seasonal refresh without having to spend a fortune. Start thinking about what you can minimise in your living area, bathroom or even office to increase space and give that fresh, makeover feeling.”
Jess’s six hot tips to shake off the winter chills and maximise spring storage.
1. Minimise the clutter in your home office by choosing storage boxes in the same colour throughout the space. This can create a sense of harmony in a space that is often cluttered with paperwork and technology.
2. Choose furniture options that have storage incorporated into the design. For example an ottoman that you can store your winter jumpers in, or a bed with drawers underneath can hold your coats and scarves that you certainly won’t need for spring!
3. Keep large straw baskets handy in the lounge room. In one quick sweep you can gather up all the toys off the floor and they are a neat way to store extra blankets and cushions.
4. Floating shelves are an easy way to create more storage surface area without taking up valuable floor space. They are great for a home office or bedroom and they are available in a wide range of finishes and sizes.
5. Be disciplined and ruthless when it comes to getting rid of items you no longer need. Chuck out items you haven’t touched all winter, just in time for spring. A clean out of excess is good for the soul and will inspire you to stay more organized. Drop items off at your local op shop or sell online.
6. Organise your kitchen according to usage. Minimise the clutter on your bench top by storing away appliances that you rarely use. If you find after time you haven’t needed the pancake/popcorn/hotdog maker, that’s a cue to get rid of it.